Thursday, March 29, 2007

I don't believe it!....

... and this time it's all good news!
The first is that we have no sound problems at all, mainly due to using a traditional, wired, £20-from-Maplins microphone, having given up on wireless in the workshop. Productivity has soared, we filmed on Tuesday this week and so far I've got about 16 minutes of finished footage, even after speeding up a few of the dull bits, and that's absolutely unprecedented. And I've not downloaded it all yet, either. Fantastic.
The other unbelievable thing is that my mate Nigel rang me a couple of weeks ago inviting me for lunch. Nigel and I catch up with each other a couple of times a year. He is Chief Exec of a charity called Mission Direct, which does various projects around the world.
I told him about my film-making capers, and he replied "That's great, Steve, we could do with your skills. Come out to Sierra Leone with us over Easter and film our project. We are building an orphanage and we need some new footage for our DVD".
I pointed out that I'm in front of the camera, not operating it, and I also pointed out that I need a job where I work for someone and they pay me for doing so, not I work for someone and pay more money than I've earned this year for the privilege of doing so!
So I said No.
I fly out on Tuesday. I can hardly claim that I don't have the time, and as so many people have offered to help fund it, I can't say I can't afford it either. People's generosity has been tremendous, contributions coming from everywhere between next-door-neighbours and Oregon, and a friend has promised to underwrite any shortfall, so I don't have any excuse not to do it really. I'm not sure if it will be fun exactly (working in 35deg C and 90% RH isn't very appealing), but it should be rewarding, and it will certainly be different; I am fairly well-travelled, but never been that far south in Africa.
I contacted JSP, who have provided me with safety-wear for my film, and told them what I was doing, asking for some safety specs. "Sure", came the reply, "Anything else?". So today two enormous boxes arrived, full of hard hats, goggles, ear defenders, work gloves and safety specs, including tinted ones for working outside. We could not have hoped for more. Thank you Jacqui at JSP!
My local phamacist sold me the anti-marials at cost and even the guy I bought camera batteries from gave me free postage (it was eBay, so that was a significant saving, over £20).
So no filming no for 3 weeks, I'm going shopping tomorrow for stuff for the trip, then hunt for some tools I can take. They want me to build a wardrobe, and I pointed out that I can't take my Xcalibur and collection of Festools.... Goodness only knows what I'll be faced with. Anyway I drive down to Nigel's on Monday and I'll be in Freetown before I go to bed on Tuesday. I feel a whole new adventure coming on.
And if you feel the urge to contribute, I have a paypal account, or you can give by Gift Aid or Charities Aid Foundation. Email me steveATstevemaskeryDOTcoDOTuk and I'll give you details.
I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home